Thursday, February 18, 2010

100th Post--Chip-o-rama

So, this is my 100th post! I'm not creating anything special for this, just a regular a post. My dad is always sending great care packages (you are never too old for one). He send these homemade tortilla chips from his local Whole Foods (I'm so sad that my Whole Foods does not carry them). So I made a few meals to use up the chips. Here is the first one: Chicken Tortilla Soup:

1 c. chopped onion
1 tsp. minced garlic
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
4 c. chicken broth
1 c. chopped red bell pepper
1 tsp. ground red chilies
1 tsp. dried basil leaves
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 (15 oz.) can tomato puree
Tortilla chips
2 c. shredded cooked chicken (I used some left over Peruvian Chicken)
Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Avocado slices tossed with lime juice

Plain Yogurt

Cook and stir onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons oil in 4 quart Dutch oven until onion is tender. Stir in broth, bell pepper, ground red chilies, basil salt, pepper and tomato puree. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes. Divide tortilla chips, chicken, avocado slices and cheese among 6 soup bowls. Pour broth over. 6 (1 1/2 cup) servings.

No comments: