Saturday, June 18, 2011

"Ancient Grains for Modern Meals" by Maria Speck

You must buy this cookbook....Ancient Grains for Modern Meals: Mediterranean Whole Grain Recipes for Barley, Farro, Kamut, Polenta, Wheat Berries & More.  I was fortunate enough to hear Maria Speck speak, then cook from her book at Sofa (I have posted about this wonderful place before).  So, the evening started with some lovely wine and the cafe was closed, so we had to come around to the back part of the kitchen.  First let me say, the place was SPOTLESS.  Maria started with a little bit about how she got was inspired (from her parents' traditions), then she cooked one dish for us.  It was Quinoa with dill, zucchini, currents and scallions. 

Maria was so informative about using grains and her passion was contagious.  Her husband came along as well and they are a very sweet couple.  We received copies of the book as part of the cost for the evening.  I was afraid to look through the book with my greasy paws, but it was hard not to open it right away.  The staff from Sofra made muffins, barley sliders and a shrimp dish that I completely forget what the grain was in it.

So this book has stunning recipes, photos that will make you drool and it is full of wonderful information.  So, use my link here or go to your local book store and get this book.  I'll be cooking my way through this book this year.

Here is Maria in the kitchen talking, sorry for terrible photo.  Stay tuned for the meals I've made from the cookbook.....

No comments: