Friday, February 25, 2011

Mantra


 So, my friend Mary had a Groupon expiring for this restaurant, so we traded, she got my Cross Country Ski Groupon at Weston Ski and I got her one for $40 for dinner at Mantra.  I hate to say this, but I think I got the better end of this deal.  So, I went after work during the week.  There was a corporate event that night, so it was pretty crowded.  I didn't make a reservation, so the only table was a high top just off the bar.  Not my first choice, but I decided to go with the flow.  After a long wait, the wait staff found me.

I started with garlic and spinach naan.  This was like listening to a beautiful musical solo playing all the parts of a complicated harmony.
 The naan came with this tomato cranberry chutney.  This was very good, the right balance of sweet and acid, but it was served super cold, not to my liking.
 This is the main dish, Goat Cheese and Potato Tikki--Caramelized eggplant, sautéed spinach and tomato coulis with fenugreek.  The tomato coulis was out of this world.  The spinach was a bit salty.  I enjoyed the presentation, but I needed a sharper knife to cut the eggplant skin.
I still had some money left, so I went the bread pudding at my server's suggestion.  This was a dessert for dessert lovers (that would me!).  It had fresh fruit, chocolate sauce, ice cream, carmel sauce and white chocolate crumbles.

Next time I'm going to the Naan bar (and I hope my Dad is in town for that adventure).

No comments: