Thursday, December 30, 2010

Vareli

 Christmas Eve in NYC, what a special time to be in the big apple.  Since my parents have temporary digs, so we decided that we would have one night out and one night at my sister's and brother-in-law.  My parents have been camping on the Upper West Side.  They have been hunting out the good restaurants Vareli was the winner for December 24th.  My Dad started with butternut squash soup with hazelnut oil.





I I ordered Flash Fried Cauliflower, Tahini, Chili, Lemon Juice
and Sage it was a like having sparklers on your tongue.

My Mom had Roasted Baby Rainbow Beets, Kefalograviera Cheese, Pine Nuts,
Pickled Onions, Red Beet Coulis it tasted like a sunset on the beach on the summer.










My sister had the scallops, Pan Seared Scallops, Pearl Onions, Breakfast Radish,
Baby Carrots,  Sugar Snap Peas
and Preserved Lemon Barigoule.  This dish has the freshness of sea with the sweetness of carrots.








I had the Mediterranean Dorade, Gigante Beans, Haricots Vert, Kalamata Olives and Roasted
Red Pepper Coulis.  Now this is for fish lovers only, it was a yummy filet with crispy skin and tender flesh.








But the winner of the night was the special risotto, with foam and mushrooms.  It was cooked just how your grandmother would make it (well not my grandmother).

No comments: